Sunday, October 28, 2007

Ngaoundéré, where everyone knows my name

After taking a nightime train ride through fields and forests, I arrived in Nagauondere, a dusty city in Northern Cameroon, on Friday morning. The suburban area where I'm living is beautiful. The red streets are filled with women in long, beautiful clothing, playing children and baby goats.
I began to explore the downtown area in the afternoon. As I walked further
into the center of the city, it seemed like every other person was shouting my name at me and waving. Hmm, I thought. Maybe this is a sign that I should stay here for my independent study project? Turns out they don't know my name (yet), but were shouting "nassara" which means "white person!" in Fulani, the local language. That first syllable can be hard to hear.

So far, I like this town. My host family is very kind. The father sells plates and pots,
and his wife is a stay at home mom. She's only one month older than me. They have two young children, but they also live in a kind of gated compound that seems to have about twenty members of the extended family. At the moment, it looks like I will in fact be here for my study project at the end of the term, where I will have four weeks to research a subject that interests me. I think I'm going to study the different ways that young Muslim women here find empowerment and liberation in their religion. I've already begun to talk to my host mother a little about this, but hopefully I'll get more information as I become closer to the family.

Before coming up here, I spent a few days in Kribi, a beach town in Southern Cameroon.
Quite possibly the most beautiful place that I've stayed in my entire life. The water was warm
and graceful palm trees extended over the sand. However, Kribi is also the place where the Chad-Cameroon oil pipeline meets the ocean. It was quite strange to take walks on the beach in the morning and look out onto the ocean. There were several fishermen in wooden canoes close to shore, and then on the horizon a string e of oil tankers lined up to fill their tanks. A great blazing flame marked the place where the pipeline came to the surface.

I've been thinking a lot about my Grandfather lately, who passed away last week. I was sorry I couldn't be there with my family for the memorial, but I think he would have been happy that I'm doing so well here. He loved living in other countries and did work to empower marginalized Americans and people abroad. Little things have been coming up that reminded me of him all week long. This morning, my host mother suggested to me that I go running, as the students they have had before have apparently been very athletic. I hadn't been considering it, but then decided that it would feel good. I donned the most conservative athletic clothing that I had and
took to the streets. Nevertheless, it felt like every single person I passed was staring or shouting
"Nassara" at me. I remembered that my father told me that my grandpa started to go running in the states in the 1940s, where he probably received similar reactions from people on the street. I kept taking deep breaths, and I thought that maybe he would be proud if he was here.

6 comments:

Anne said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather! Sounds like you are honoring his memory well.

Jayktakoma said...

Dear Sarah,

Your grandfather would be proud, I am sure!

Jay

Anonymous said...

Hey !
the CCP has now unblocked your site! yay youre pictures look amazing and I miss you a ton and i cant wait to see you in person xoxo

Kristina

katy said...

Sarah! As I was reading your blog I had an image of you in my head walking down the street very confused as these people seemed to be shouting your name! It sounds like you've been moved around a lot there. I'm proud of you for adjusting so well each time.
Sorry to hear about your grandpa honey. I'm sure he is so proud of you. You go girl.

See you soon!

love, katy

Unknown said...

Salut Sarah,

It sounds like you are having a great and truly enlightening experience in Cameroon!! I miss seeing your sunny smile every day and can't wait to see you again and hear all about your time there in person! I'm sorry about your grandfather - I can imagine that it would be hard to be away from your family and home at this time.

See you soon,
Bernice

Unknown said...

Hey lady,

So sorry to hear about your grandfather, but I'm sure you're right when you say he'd be proud of you.

I'm so glad you're having a good time and it's great to see pictures! You'll have to visit once you get back to the States.

Things are well here at Woolly. We hosted the NNPN Showcase this past weekend and it went well even if it almost killed me. Not really, thanks to Clem and Julia and everyone else - but it was nice to take today off.

Anyway, it's good to know you're having a great time and I can't wait to see you when you get back!


elissa