Monday, September 10, 2007

I'm here!

Hello all !

So, I’m starting to settle in life in Dschang and I think I’m going to love it. I met my host family on Saturday night and they are incredibly kind, welcoming people. The father, Andre is a math teacher who just got a promotion in another city. They were going to move, but they put it off for a month to host me ! Mirabelle is a very sweet woman in her late twenties who is in her third year of law school. She has a lot on her plate, as she also has three children, Tydane , Triomphe and Temperance. They are all under seven. Also present in the house are Mirabelle’s sister, Jael , who is 15 and Andre’s brother, a twenty five year old who studies Italien litterature.

We've already had many interesting conversations about life in the United States, US policies diplomacy in Africa and the 2008 elections (they're rooting for Obama). Interfaith Alliance folk-- last night over dinner I tried to explain separation of church and state.

Okay I have to run to class now; more later, I promise!

4 comments:

Preet Singh said...

Great to hear you are in Cameroon safe and sound and that everything is working out with the host family.

Thanks for being a super summer intern and keeping The Interfaith Alliance (TIA) in the loop about your travels...And just as you tried to explain the separation of church and state to a new audience, I tried to same, in Spanish, to someone who works for our new building...Good times...

Here's to you keeping the momentum in Cameroon...Cheers,

-P

Anonymous said...

Sarah! Your family sounds big and interesting, and I'm glad you're happy to be there. We miss you here in Claremont.

By the by, I'm still trying to figure out a way to suitably reply to your hilarious facebook wall post. I left it unmentioned for a while to allow me time to think of something funny, but then I had a cross country drive to do, a wedding to bridesmaid, and a Claremont to move into, and I let it slide. Never fear. I'll think of something.

Keep your eyes open, have fun, meet as many people as possible, and colonize like a mad European. I'm kidding about that last one. (Sorry; culturally insensitive?)

Unknown said...

SarMillMillll

I'm glad things seem to be going well!

I miss you!
Dood, I'm still singing sop this semester. Too. High.

Jayktakoma said...

Sarah,

Enjoy, asorb, appreciate! I'd love to hear how they think religion works in the US and how they perceive US policies. We have had a great guy from Kenya ( working on development) staying in out little house for two weeks and it haqs been interesting to get his very polite sense of the US.

Be well,
Jay